Monday, April 16, 2012

Writing in 3rd person? Okay, so maybe Pamela will try it.

Now that The Influence is settling in its spot and as we work on getting everything ready for the print edition to come out, I'm left with the stiff question I always end up with when finishing a large project. What now? I always feel a little out of sorts after the euphoria of completing a big project dies. My mind seems to scramble for what I should tackle next.

Usually when I finish something so large, I start working on a few smaller projects. I had planned on starting the next Barrier story and then work on a short story I had stalled on several months ago. But that is out of my head at the moment. I'd even had part of an outline for a new historical novel started. Now even that is on hold.

I'm revisiting Future Past. The last time I spoke about this fantasy novel, I'd been debating whether or not I would take the editor's advice and rewrite the entire thing from a 3rd person point of view. After reevaluating what it would do to the story and after talking with several reliable writer friends about it, I've come to the conclusion that I am up to the challenge.

I've never been particularly skilled at writing in 3rd person. In fact, I've only written in 3rd person on some short stories. I've always had this notion that 3rd person can take a little away from how personal the characters seem. Several years ago, if I would try to write a novel in 3rd person, I always lost momentum with it within a couple of weeks. But I've decided now that I'm going to do it. I'm going to put aside my misgivings and fears and just do it and then hand it to Hadley Rille for a 3rd and final time before I shop around some more.

I guess at some point I knew there would come a day when I'd have to shove that fear aside and grow more as a writer. Writers don't have a lot of options when it comes to professional growth. You can either go for it or not. You can either learn more about your skill or hold yourself back. Is there really another choice for me?

Peace, love, and going for it,

Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment