Monday, November 7, 2011

Update: One Month Post Discectomy

Okay so I've already written the "my back hurts after surgery so I'm whining" post. I want to follow that up with some practical "what to expect after back surgery/discetomy" points.

I tried really hard last week to get on some sort of normal schedule. My back was gradually getting better but I'm still having a hard time sitting. This isn't good when your work requires you to sit. Let me explain. I realize I probably still live in the stone ages with my 3/4 year old desktop computer. I have a netbook but I don't even have it connected. I only use it to write blog posts like this one and my fiction. So when I'm writing content for money, I can only do so at the desktop computer. But sitting and writing has been a problem. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were okay. I wrote a few articles and did some client work. If my back or leg started to bother me, I'd get up and walk a lap or two around the house.

But Thursday, my hip and leg really started to bother me. Friday, it was all but impossible to sit for longer than ten minutes at a time. I tried different chairs, pillows, etc. but nothing was easing the pain. I finally shut it down Friday and laid down until I had to go get groceries, which turned out to be an excruciating trip. I've been practically bedridden ever since. I'm actually typing this lying on my bed.

It's been nearly a month since the surgery. I thought that by now I was supposed to start feeling better... and I was feeling better up until Thursday. Since then I've experienced such horrible pain that I've been left in tears, asking God what I'd done to Him to deserve this. I've actually been praying, too, that God would put his hand on me and heal me. If he did that one thing for me, then I'd never take my body for granted again. I just want to be able to run again. I want to be able to get back to jogging and I want to be able to play with my kids.

I hope that I start to see some improvement soon. I see the disappointment on my kids' faces when I tell them I can't do something because of my back. I am watching the dwindling of my bank account because I can't work.

Ugh. I never meant for this to be another whining post but this is what I'm going through. On the bright side, at least since I can type on this thing lying down, I can continue working on my novel rewrite.

Peace, love, and normalcy,

Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment