Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Into Pieces" by Pamela Caves - Excerpt

You can purchase Into Pieces on Smashwords (several formats available), Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or search for it on your favorite site!

Prince Humprey Uptree and his soon-to-be father-in-law, Gordon, concoct a plan that will allow Uptree to leave his brother's kingdom to marry the woman he loves. Gordon painted an image of Uptree on a large mirror and they hoisted it atop a city wall as the king received this message, seemingly from a witch of the wicked:  
Your men have hunted me and I have eluded them. So you send your brother to kill me? To show you my power, I have trapped him in the mirror world. No spell in the world is strong enough to break the hold I have on him. I shall do this to everyone you send after me. And if you should have the courage to come after me as well, you will be met with the same fate.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Gordon and I watched from an inconspicuous position along the east side of the wall, those on the ground below, starting their morning just like any other day, began to take notice of the “mirror me”. There were murmurs and finger pointing. My heart thumped loud in my head. My soon-to-be father-in-law placed a reassuring hand on my back. “They’re coming,” he said softly.
We had full view of the front of the castle from this angle. A full contingent was brought out front; all of the king’s horses and all of the king’s men were ready to move. Marcus soon stormed out of the front and mounted his horse. From the distance, I couldn’t see the expression on his face but strictly from his demeanor, he appeared angry yet focused. We watched the entire group as they made their way down from the hill of the castle into the city of Glendore.
The timing couldn’t have been better. Just as Marcus neared, the “mirror me” was hit by a shove of wind, wavered, and then toppled over the edge of the wall. Luckily, everyone was able to move out of the way before the “mirror me” hit the cobblestone and shattered into a million tiny pieces. I could hear the collective gasps from below.
A lump formed in my throat as I watched my brother. His eyes were transfixed on the shattered mess. “No one touch anything! Do not step on him!” His eyes were full of pain as he picked up a shard and held it as if it were precious gold. My heart ached and the tears welled. There was no turning back now.
He turned and addressed his men. “If it’s the last thing we do, we WILL put him together again!”
---------------------------------------------------------------

You can purchase Into Pieces on Smashwords (several formats available), Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or search for it on your favorite site!

No comments:

Post a Comment