Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

What is a blog hop? Basically, it’s a way for readers to discover authors new to them.  I hope you'll find new-to-you authors whose works you enjoy.  On this stop on the blog hop, you'll find a bit of information on me and one of my books and links to four other authors you can explore!

My gratitude to fellow writer Langley Cornwell for inviting me to participate in this event.  You can click the following link to learn more about her work.  Website:  http://langley-writes.blogspot.com/

In this blog hop, I and my fellow authors, in their respective blogs, have answered ten questions about our book or work-in--progress (giving you a sneak peek).  We've also included some behind-the-scenes information about how and why we write what we write--the characters, inspirations, plotting and other choices we make. I hope you enjoy it!

Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and questions. Here is my Next Big Thing!

 1: What is the working title of your book?  

 Future Past

2: Where did the idea come from for the book?

It came from a combination of things. First, was a dream I had many years ago that stuck with me. I would say something about the dream but that might give away too much of the story. Second, I was also inspired by some of the Elder Scrolls games; the character who gets released from prison at the beginning of the game... I liked that concept of someone who was released from prison with no memory of who they were before or why they were even in prison to begin with. I merged the two ideas and knew I had a story I was excited about.

3. What genre does your book come under?
Fantasy.


4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Sorry, but I don't really think about things like that. I tend to focus on characters and the plot. I suppose that's why I'm not a casting director. I wouldn't have that knack.

5: What is the synopsis hook of your book?

For ten years, Dayel struggled to survive inside the most infamous prison in the world with no memory of who she was before or what she did to get there.  Scars over her body and rumors of mass murder indicate that she might not want to know. She can't believe she could be such a monster, despite evidence to the contrary. All she wants upon her release is to live in quiet solitude.

She soon finds that others have no intention of allowing her the normalcy she desires. On her path, she makes unlikely friends, escapes assassins, and battles unimaginable foes. Her memory begins to return and with it, magic begins to manifest. Terrified that she will hurt someone with her untamed abilities, she begins the journey to unravel her past, for doing so can only ensure her future is lined with peace. But what she finds is more horrifying than she ever thought possible and everything she thought she was comes crumbling down around her.

6: Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

It will be self-published with the help of my editors and submission readers at Fiction Lake Publishing.


7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
A year, pretty much down to the day! It has taken another two years of rewrites and revisions.


8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Sorry, but I don't really compare my work either.  I'm sure it can compare with something, but I read such a variety of things that nothing specific comes to mind. Can I just say that it is in a class of it's own or would that be too pompous? LOL.

9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I pretty much think that "idea" and "inspiration" go hand in hand, which I answered above.


10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

I'm a character-driven writer. I'm a firm believer that not all bad is really bad and not all good is really good. This ideal is presented in this story.  The main character, Dayel, is overwhelmed with the notion that she's too tainted for anything good, though it is obvious to the reader that she has a good heart despite her raw edges and checkered past. And King Neelan, who seems kind and does good things, isn't all he's cracked up to be. Overall, I think it shows that no matter what you've done or where you're from, you can be the type of person you long to be. It may be very hard, but it is possible. 

11: Why are you so much better-looking in person than in your photo?

Uhhhh... I don't like self-deprecation, but I'll disagree with that one. I don't have Photoshop for "in person" interactions.

Who’s next on the NEXT BIG THING BLOG HOP?

So glad you asked!

Below you will find the author who will be joining me by blog, next Wednesday. Do be sure to bookmark and add them to your calendars for updates on Works in Progress and New Releases! Happy Writing and Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment