Friday, December 29, 2017

I wanna really write

I've spent the last several months engrossed in a plethora of lesson plans and graduate assignments. It's been hectic to say the least. I never thought I'd even attend graduate school much less do it while managing a full and a part time job. But things tend to work out the way they are supposed to. I'm making it. I have only a few more months to go before I complete my graduate degree, and then I can breathe some.

On top of that, though, I can begin writing again. Like really writing.

Like not a research paper or assignment guidelines or class announcements or syllabi or anything else that is writing but not really writing.

Really writing. Like draw you in to examine a character's humanity and therefore all of humanity with a situation that pulls you in and keeps you reading. Like a conflict that leaves you satisfied that it has resolved but that conjures more questions upon reflection. That kind of writing.

I cannot wait for that again. I'm getting this antsy feeling inside me, the same antsy-ness I get every time I go without this type of writing for a period of time. I've had readers asking about when the next Barrier will be out. It's been a few years since the last Barrier emerged, leaving readers wondering how the war will progress. I've also been asked when The Influence will be re-released. I recognized about a year or so ago that my first novel needed some major revisions, so I pulled it until I can accomplish that goal. I've also been asked about a sequel to Future Past. I kind of just left Herrick out there to cause chaos while Dayel took the throne.

While I know that I'm going to tackle these things and more upon my return to "really writing," I'm also struggling with a concept that is not new to other writers. I'm trying to decide if I want to strictly go the self-publishing route as I move forward or if I want to continue submitting to traditional markets. I need to reexamine what my goals are and weigh my options. If you have insights on this, please comment. I'd love to read them.

In the meantime, I am pushing forward and will be back to "really writing" very soon. I'm about to push into another semester of constant work, so it will be a while before y'all hear from me again. Until next time...

Peace, love, and goals,

Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment