Saturday, August 13, 2016

Well, THAT was unexpected...

Last week, I wrote this blog post: my feeble attempt at remaining positive when I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel. I'd spent the last few months of my job search being rejected over and over and over. One rejection in particular made me feel like utter crap because I'd gone above and beyond the base requirements and requests to obtain the particular position I was going for. I sank, and I let my grief run its course.

Then I dug right back in. I was looking for work outside of teaching as well. I love teaching, but I don't think that love has to be exclusive; it works in much the same way as my joy of writing. I find joy in many things. I don't have to only find joy in one thing.

In any case, there I was last Wednesday, working my last day as an English tutor. For almost three years, my work there brought me immense satisfaction. My students, my colleagues, and my supervisors have been fantastic. My colleagues threw me a little going-away party and I found myself in tears on more than one occasion that day. The next day, I was helping out in the admissions office when one of my mentors came bounding through the door looking for me. She informed me that I'll be teaching a class this upcoming semester. The title of Adjunct Instructor has a nice ring to it. :-D :-) I'd had no idea that she'd been trying to get it approved for the last couple of weeks. Now I have a sharp incentive to go ahead and start applying to graduate programs. I'll greet 2017 by beginning my journey to obtain my master's degree.

In any case, I'm prepping for class, applying for another position at the college, looking forward to working in the admissions office this week, campaigning for council, and overall, just relishing the notion that my life is moving in places I'd never thought was possible for this point in my life. My friends and colleagues kept telling me that something would happen when I least expected it, and that God had plans for me. I couldn't see it at the time, but they were certainly correct.

Peace, love, and surprises,

Pamela


No comments:

Post a Comment