Thursday, June 14, 2012

Don't forget the blood drive...

For local peeps, tomorrow will be a blood drive at the Senior Center in Fyffe on Graves Street honoring Kolby Clayton, the 16 year-old Crossville boy who died from injuries sustains in a car crash on April 12, 2012.

While I didn't personally know Kolby, only saw him in passing, I'm lucky to be able to call his mom, Brandi Clayton, a friend.  She is the sweetest person you could ever know and has a God-given talent for being even-tempered in times where I don't know I could've kept from turning red.  She is hosting this event to both honor Kolby and thank the Red Cross for the 39 units of blood they used to try to save Kolby's life.

The drive is from 10am - 3pm. Pending they don't reject me (I currently have the crud), I'll be rolling up my sleeve.

Here's a poem I wrote. I dedicate it to Brandi and her family in honor of Kolby:

Storm and Calm

There's something magical about the sky
How it's never-ending blue
How it holds the world together
How it hides behind ominous clouds
Only to reveal its beauty
Arms open
After the hardest of times

There's something enchanting about a rainbow
How it bends so easily
How the colors blend but stay separate
How it is God's promise
Of a world safe from flood
Solid
Yet unable to grasp

And there's something about a passed loved one
How they are so close
How they are so far
How the heart aches in shreds
But knowing they are happy
And exploring
Brings a sad peace

There's something beautiful about heaven
How we pray
How we wave
How we look forward to the day
We, too, take that step
Into the blue
To hold them again

No comments:

Post a Comment