Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Kindergarten conquered! Reality of 1st Grade hasn't quite hit me yet.


My son graduated from kindergarten yesterday. At the risk of sounding horribly cliche, it seems like just yesterday I was dropping him off for his very first day.

Simply from a work-at-home mom perspective, it's amazing how much your child going to school opens up the world around you. I have a new appreciation for the job teachers do. I've also become more community-aware. It's hard to explain but, indeed, as much as his world changed, the world changed a little for me, too.

When the year first started, we had some problems adjusting. It took several weeks before the crying stopped. The first several days were fine, but then the reality that he had to get up early and go to school every day set in. I can't say that we didn't have a few unpleasant mornings in there as is true with any parent, I suppose.

Get ready for long, hot summer days!
Then came the behavior tickets. He pulled quite a few those the first couple of weeks as he tested the boundaries of the rules his teacher had set. And even then, his behavior wasn't optimal. Then came his horrible handwriting. I couldn't understand why he wasn't thriving and was already considering how we might approach holding him back a year. But then we took him for an eye exam (shout out to the fine folks at Dr. Habel's office in Rainsville!) and found out he was severely far-sighted and let me tell you, after he got his glasses, he was like a brand new kid. He walked around saying, "Wow, I can see up close now," not realizing before that moment that he'd had any problem seeing at all. His behavior improved and his grades improved. And the proudest moment of any writer mommy? He discovered his love for books. We now make regular trips to the Rainsville Library and he's signing up for their Summer Reading Program.

But as much as I enjoyed watching him thrive in school this year, I'm doubly looking forward to enjoying the summer. I've taken off school, too, in order to take advantage of the first summer I've been able to breathe in six years. I might post some of the adventures we have planned here on my blog.

In the meantime, congratulations to all the graduates out there from kindergarten on up! 

First grade? Naw, don't really want to even think about that just yet.

Peace, love, pomp and circumstance,

Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment