Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Two and a half (ish) months, post discectomy back surgery update.

I had a discectomy on a severely 
ruptured L5/S1 disk on October 12, 2011. 
This isn't my MRI, but one that illustrates
my problem.
I've had a few of you ask me how my back has been doing since my surgery so I thought I'd update.

I think I must be getting better. I'm having more good days than I am bad lately so that is better, right? I only say this because I guess I was under the mistaken impression that I should be instantly healed or at least be out of pain by now, which I'm not.

That's really all I can say. I can sit for longer now so I've been able to keep up my Yahoo! work and keep my client work up-to-date without too many problems. I've been walking more these days, too, and returning to the gym a little at a time. Part of my left foot, mainly my smaller toes, are still numb and parts of my leg are numb, too, although the only time I can really tell is when I shave my legs. I have pain that still runs from my back, across my backside, to my left hip but it isn't as frequent or to the intensity it has been before.

I guess I expected to be fully recovered by now but I've learned that this is a much longer process than I could have ever imagined. At some point in my life, I'd like to be able to run and jump again but I've accepted the reality that it won't be any time soon. Not that I would just go around running and jumping everywhere, but you get the drift. :) All I can hope for is that I keep getting better.

In the meantime, I am about to return to classes in a few weeks and I hope sitting isn't going to be a problem. I'm also still working on my Future Past rewrite. I just passed 82k, which is the number I was sitting at before I made cuts. Now I'm just filling story holes and I'm hoping to have it sent back to Ms. DeFino before January is over. This coming March will be 2 years since I wrote the first sentence and I'm so excited by how well I think the story is going. I hope I'm not getting my hopes up. It's gotta pass the DeFino test first. :)

Peace, love, and pain relief,

Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment