Thursday, August 16, 2012

"How goes the campaigning?"

"How goes the campaigning?" is a question I've been hearing more and more lately.

For those who aren't aware, I'm running for Place 3 on the town council in Fyffe, my hometown. In less than two weeks, I will know if the majority of the voters in Fyffe want me to serve them for the next four years. On one hand, four years doesn't really sound like a lot. On the other hand, though, a lot can happen in four years. In four years, I'll already have my education degree and my oldest son will hit double digits, hovering on the brink of teenage-ism.

So how is it going? Well, let's just put it this way; I'm not a politician. I have no ambitions to be a public speaker either. I'm just me; this rather socially awkward person who is passionate about my work, is honest to a fault, with a desire to make more of my life than what I've been handed. I'm diving outside my comfort zone, which is great life experience. Putting my writing out there is different in that the majority of my marketing doesn't require face to face contact. Running for office, however, is a completely different experience. Putting myself out there is nothing new, but on a local level it can sometimes get hairy, especially when you're in the middle of the media circus that has become Fyffe lately. Campaigning, for me, is clumsy. But campaigning isn't ultimately the job I'm after.

I'm learning some things, too, the first being that campaign signs are best left to professionals. I've also learned that there is a thin line between negativity and truth in the eyes of voters. What I've touched on, I see as truth of situations that every voter should really know about. I don't have a political agenda so for me, I say and write what I feel and think; I'm pretty much an open book. Looking at it from another perspective, I can understand a little about how others might see negativity instead and that is certainly something I've noted. Like I said, it is tricky. I want people to care but have to accept that not everyone is going to care about the same things I care about.

I'm not running because of the current situation within our town departments. Although the situation has affected me, as it has many, anger was not the deciding factor in filling out those papers to qualify. I think that's important to note because this situation will eventually resolve and candidates really have to have a set focus apart from that. Four years goes beyond the current state of affairs. We have to think about businesses, road improvements, safety, development, and more. I also did not have to be asked to run. I'm running completely on my own, guided by a desire to teach my boys what it is to serve a community and work for a cause that is bigger than themselves. I wouldn't be running if I didn't think I could do a good job. I wouldn't run if I wasn't confident that I had some beneficial skills to offer the town. It's a job I would be honored to work, if elected.

I appreciate the time you've taken to read this. I would be grateful for your support and vote.

Peace, love, and please vote,

Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment