Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fyffe Spoke!

I've tried several times to write this. I know it's not a good idea to write while emotionally charged (which has gotten me in trouble before!) but I also knew that I needed to get something up about this.

I lost my bid for Fyffe council. Despite my efforts and my honesty, I lost the election. I wish the elected candidates the best and pray that they do right by the town. Forgive me for that slip of cynicism but I can't ignore it, in light of everything I've witnessed and experienced.

Being a writer has prepared me for rejection so this loss is nothing new. I've met so many wonderful people along this path and have made great new friends. Never in my life could I have imagined doing something so out-of-the-box from my otherwise reclusive personality. It all makes this experience bittersweet. I don't know that I've ever understood the concept of "losing but gaining" until now.

But I'm going to admit that part of me wants to be upset. I've lost friends during this, those who would rather dismiss or attack me for having an opinion than to agree to disagree, showing me exactly what kind of friends they were to begin with. And I appreciate those who have been respectful, even when they disagree.

I can't hide that I absolutely believe Fyffe got it wrong on all accounts. I feel like I'm speaking to a deaf crowd when I say that you haven't seen anything yet. But will you be surprised or will you still insist that nothing's wrong here? I'm interested to find out. But I've done what I could and it is out of my hands now. At least I tried and that's all anyone can do.

In the meantime, I have some big decisions to make in the next few weeks and it makes taking this loss easier. I'm relieved that this is finally over. My perspective has shifted and couldn't have been summed up better than what family friend Tina Glassco wrote on her Facebook after the shock of the results began to fade:

"Don't be depressed for the bad news; this is a blessing in disguise. Everyone needs to pray, and thank God for the blessing cause he knows what is in store for the town even though we don't, and has protected the ones who did not win even though it is hard to see at the moment. It could be something is going to happen that is more than each could handle. Leave the headaches to those who have to deal now. Keep your head up, and know you are loved."

So with that, I say thank you to everyone who voted for me and supported me through this. I'll still be on Facebook both on my fan page and my personal one (which you can subscribe to) and posting here on my blog.

Peace, love, and prayers for Fyffe,

Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment