Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I'm running for Fyffe council. And apparently reading a book.

I went to qualify for my first election as a candidate today. The process is a little unnerving (look at all the papers to go through!) but not impossible, even for a regular Jane like me. It's actually not as bad as it looks, I promise. It's no less than I usually read most days.

(Update 8/16/2012: "How goes the campaigning?")

So I guess it's time for me to explain why I'm running. Contrary to popular belief, I am NOT running for council because of the drama bomb that landed in Fyffe after the storms blew through in April of 2011. I had actually been considering running long before that.

Simply put, I have an interest in giving back to my community. I want to teach my children what it is to serve the public, how to listen to others, and how to make decisions that would benefit the community as a whole.  Since I don't own a business in Fyffe and since I hold favors for no one, I can bring an unbiased perspective to the council. Each situation deserves fresh eyes and fair consideration without the inclusion of personal feelings. I am in a unique position to add creativity to the town in matters of bringing in business, in town projects, and more. I believe I would be an asset to the community and I feel like I'm the best person for the job.

I am self-employed. I have been freelancing in writing and editing for the last four to five years.  I am also a student at Northeast Alabama Community College and will be transferring to the University of Alabama in Huntsville within the next year.  I am studying English Education.  For the last three years, I have been a member of the Fyffe UFO Days Planning Committee. I have lived in Fyffe most of my life.  My husband and I have been married over 7 years and have two great little boys together. He's been employed at Blue Scope Steel in Rainsville for almost 10 years.

I am open for questions and comments below or you can send them to my email address at pamelacgifford (at) aol (dot) com and I'll respond as soon as I can.

Elections are August 28! I would appreciate your vote and support! Feel free to lift the below photo and share on Twitter, Facebook, or your blog.



Peace, love, and campaigning,

Pamela




No comments:

Post a Comment